Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Teriyaki Salmon & Pink Heart Rice Bento

Today's bento has teriyaki salmon on a lettuce wrap, with a roasted sweet yellow pepper vase of roasted pencil asparagus. Two red radish heart details make it eligible for the RED contest at hapabento's blog!
I also made a pink heart riceball using beet. On top of it I place a carrot sakura blossom with peapod and sesame seed detail. As an aside, I thought I would try to make pink rice during cooking by throwing a washed, peeled raw beet into the rice cooker. Maybe some of you have tried this before? I thought all the beet juice would come out and soak into the rice while cooking. Ha! What I ended up with was a nice cooked beet sitting on top of a nice batch of rice-colored rice! So I had to dye the rice afterwards, in a small bowl with the chopped up cooked beet and a little extra water.

Fruit side has blood orange slices, red grapes and kumquat halves. I put nori detail on them, which sounds weird, but kumquats have a strange taste -- kind of tart / a bit sweet -- anyway, so what's a little nori gonna do?

You'll also notice new utensils I got as a gift from a dear friend! It's keroppi, and his little face is stamped on the fork and spoon! So cute, thank you!! I have more too... and you will see them in the near future... ^_^

12 comments:

  1. Sheri, I think I have to see your bento post after lunch. This yummy bento is torturing my tummy hahaha ... I like the pink riceball heart, cool! And your fruits section is marvelous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww, the pink rice is so cute, and so are the vase and radish hearts! funny about the beet - i woulda thought that would work too. oh well, this way looks pretty! AWESOME keroppi silverware, i love it! you're so lucky to have sweet friends :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Lia! You are so sweet to say those nice things!!

    Hi megan! The little vase is my favorite part, you know how these things just "come" to you...glad I'm not the only one to be surprised by the failure of beet to stain the rice, seeing as it stains everything else it touches! And.. yes, my bento pals are the best in the world!! I <3 you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i was admiring your lovely heart rice ball and heart picks, wondering why u made it red until i read your post!! blood orange makes a nice touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks javapot, the blood orange is stunning; it still gives me a shock when I cut it open even though I know what it looks like. The little hearts do look like picks. I wish I had red ones! Only have pink, orange and blue heart picks. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh sherimiya! This is so beautiful!!! Defenitely not advisable to look at it before lunch :(

    Blood Orange! What a wonderful idea!!! Thank you! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great bento! I love the pink rice and the salmon looks delish! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely - I just adore the rice ball!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the whole wonderful ensemble, but the yellow pepper vase has claimed my heart! SO beautiful, sherimiya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those little kumquat cherries, beautiful, great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Token, haha, thanks a lot! Blood oranges are cool :)

    Hi Susan, Thanks a lot!

    Thanks Lexi!

    Marisa, haha, thanks!

    bentobird, that's my favorite detail too! Hope you can try it too, thank you!!

    Thanks Margot!

    ReplyDelete