Monday, May 10, 2010

Twin Goldfish Pasta Bento


Twin Goldfish Pasta Bento, originally uploaded by sherimiya ♥.
Yes, we love pasta bento over here. The kids who don't care for rice can suck down the pasta like crazy, even plain. What?! So here my boy gets tricolor pasta all in one section, with the mix-ins in the next section: pan-fried chicken-artichoke sausage, mushrooms and spinach (just tossed in at the end to wilt slightly), with roasted cherry tomatoes and brussels sprouts. Will he actually "mix it in"? Nah, I bet he won't. For fruits I added red grapes and a strawberry, and for decoration I placed two sweet potatoes cut out with my goldfish cutter. I put a whale baran and a fish pick to try to suggest a fishy theme so it's not so haphazard. Did it work? Monday always finds me not really interested in spending a lot of time with the bento. It's a bit drab, but believe me, it's really yummy! I'm a big fan of roasting veggies to bring out the natural sweet taste. All I did after roasting in olive oil is sprinkle some garlic powder. Total yum!

14 comments:

  1. It doesn't look drab at all, it looks delicious!! The little fishes are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bento is very colorful and certainly not drab! Such cute little fishes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with Jenn! Your bento looks delicious and well prepared. Your goldfish cutter done a pretty good job for you. It's only Tuesday for me, but I'm in bento break already ... :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your bento! It doesn't look drab at all! I love this MRB box too, it fits everything in it perfectly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenn, Kuusou, Lia and Susan,
    You gals are the best. Thanks a lot for your positive feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your goldfish are so well done! (Er, well crafted, not cooked through all the way....you know what I mean....) The sweet potatoes were the perfect choice for color and texture. :) May I ask where you bought the cutter from?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, thanks hypothermya ~ of course I get ya :)
    The shop is on Grant Ave in SF, almost at Broadway (don't remember the name). They also have some at The Wok Shop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wish they had sausage like that here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks yummy scrummy! My children are big pasta devourers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i am definitely on board with the nautical theme, and i have a similar fish cutter i was thinking of using in the MRB soon -- always one step ahead sheri :-)
    love the idea of mixing the veggies in with the pasta or being able to eat separately... such a great use of the box's compartments!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think it looks drab either, a lot of color going on. It looks tasty too! Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Angi, I like the gourmet sausages. Lots of interesting flavors and textures.

    Miloko, thanks! Kids really can put away those pasta carbs :)

    Thanks megan! Can't wait to see your upcoming bento, been missing them!

    Thanks a lot Lyndsey!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Total yum indeed! I just discovered roasting this year! Especially brussel sprouts and cauliflower. I still need to perfect my eggplant technique..a little more tricky. I like those goldfish cutters!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rachel, roasting is hands down my favorite way to cook and eat veggies. You can roast ANYthing! For reals! I've roasted eggplant but I've heard that grilling them on the barbecue is even better (haven't tried).
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete