Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Hamtaro Char Siu Bao Bento


Hamtaro Char Siu Bao Bento, originally uploaded by sherimiya ♥.
Another no-cook bento today! This one is that kid favorite: the char siu bao. I have used a similar bread to make a Pirate Monkey, and a raccoon Kireizukin Seikatsu, and this time I made Hamtaro. I slipped a knife between the baked brown layer and the fluffy bread layer to make his white face, and I used the extra brown part to make his ears. For his eyes I halved a black grape, and poked a little circle of bread and another little piece of nori on top, securing it all with a rice stick. The rice sticks were also useful for whiskers. His nose and tongue are ham and I cut his mouth from nori as well. The other side of the bento is separated from the bread side in this unique box by Sistema. I filled the two sections with all kinds of fruit and veggies: cherries, strawberry, blueberries, white peach, black grapes, carrots, broccoli, yellow cauliflower and romanesco. Whew! There's a lid that secures the bread section, and then the whole thing closes together with the pink latch on the right side. I was even able to fit the tiny fork in there too!

I added my lunch to Shannon's What's For Lunch link here: you can too!

18 comments:

  1. Awww, he's so cute!!! I love how you cut the bread perfectly! Awesome bento and I love the box!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! Don't know how you cut it so neatly but it's a brilliant idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once my eyes landed on the Hamtaro, I remembered your pirate monkey! They are all so cute and I can't help remembered all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, that box is soooo cool (new score?), and it's just PACKED with summer goodness! love your bun characters, always so creative and with such adorable unique facial details!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Lia,
    It's easy! Luckily the top layer cuts off nicely!

    KidsDreamWork,
    Aw, thanks! So sweet :)

    megan,
    Can't slip anything past you. Yes, new box! I was shocked how much I could pack in this cube-shaped box. It's really ingenious. Great for a puffy bao or multidecker sandwich! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm "all for" no-cook bentos! What a clever technique for bao! I must try it sometime.
    How is MisterMan enjoying summer school?

    ReplyDelete
  7. No-cook rocks in hot summer weather!
    The best thing about summer "school" = no homework! Woo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow I love this! Hope to attempt it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. love that you didnt waste the bao's skin and used it for the ears. must keep this in mind when i 'peel' mine. =)
    thanks for the tip . cheers/karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool new box, packed with maximum cute appeal and summer charm! Really festive and fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Lil'chan, SIG, anna2003 and bentobird! Hope you can try it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eeee! Hamtaro is soooo cute!!! Brilliant :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love him! What a sweet little hamster!

    Thanks for linking up this week too! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Shannon! I'll try to do it more regularly; you're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! This is such a smart idea! I love hamtaro- he's so cute! I'm definitely trying this one day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Von! You should; it's very easy!

    ReplyDelete