Thursday, September 16, 2010

Fishy Bento


Fishy Bento, originally uploaded by sherimiya ♥.
I haven't used this box in a very long time; not since last school year, I think. It seems a tad big, but you don't have to fill up the sections completely to the top. The lid on this box is not tight sealing anyway, so it must remain upright (or use a belt). I decided to use it because I wanted to give him some snapper we made for fish tacos along with some cabbage cilantro slaw in the next section. The slaw is good with citrus, so I put his mini mandarin in that section alongside. I was also able to fit in a partial corncob, some grape tomatoes and a pink carrot - Japanese sweet potato skewer in another section, and a fruit selection in the last: green plum, peach and grapes. To finish out the fish theme, I cut a fish shape from sweet potato and decorated it with nori detail. It sits on top of the inner boxes just under the convex part of the lid. Done!

15 comments:

  1. Ack! There's no cuter M4SB than this! Love your clever pick placement. Very 3D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debra, we're channeling the M4SB now! Thanks as always :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy and cute bento! :) The carrot looks happy- like he's glad he's not the filet of snapper. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it, especially the skewer. I need to check out Whole Paycheck for their colorful carrots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great bento as always ^_^, I just got similar bento boxes like this one but mine is transparent, and I haven't use it yet. Was thinking to give it away. But after seeing this I'd definitely use it, thanks Serri ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. sigh, such a festive and nutritious feast of a cute bento...in smiles of delight!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Susan, Yenny, Sonoma Bento, Just a MOM and bentobird!
    This box is really cool and it's worth using for fun. I actually have another one just like it in pink :) Michelle, I've seen purple and yellow carrots in the farmers markets but the pink ones only at high-end groceries. I got mine at Berkeley Bowl West, which I really like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks very very cute. And healthy too :)
    I have also seen the pinkish carrots at Monterey Market (also in Berkeley)...I love that place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yay, happy to see this colorful box again, it's been a while for me too, may need to dig it back out! i love how you jazz up this box with a central design element, and the fishy is adorable with those cleverly-applied nori gills. um, snapper tacos plus slaw, YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oscar, you will love it. Great combo. Thanks!
    Indie.Tea, thanks a lot! Thanks for the tip. I rarely go to Monterey Market, but I love the little bakery down the street so I really should.
    Hi megan! Thanks a lot for your thoughtful comment. I'd love to see you use yours again soon too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love what you did with the mini mandarin. The whole box is so pretty ... And pink carrots? Oh so lucky you can get all those colorful carrots :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A simple lunch but so pretty. The clementine peel flower is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Lia! Me too, really enjoying the colorful hybrid produce around here :)

    Thanks veganf. Do try the peel cutout. It's easy and fun!

    ReplyDelete