Monday, December 5, 2011

Christmas Tree Salmon Bento

So here it is, two more weeks left of school (and school bento), and I'm running out of new ideas for Christmas themed bento. Luckily, my friend karaimame posted a Christmas bento that is so cute, it begs to be stolen imitated. It's a broccoli Christmas tree. I remember I made one a couple years ago (see this bento), and now that I peek at that one I see that last time I used the tree trunk pick and made the ornaments look like strings of lights (much cuter). Sigh. Maybe I used up all my festive idea brain cells on Halloween this year. Anyway, this bento contains crispy butter shoyu salmon, which means I pan-fried it with butter, then drizzled shoyu after I turned the heat off. Super good. Besides the tree with colorful pepper ornament cutouts, I've got baby grape tomatoes, Okinawan sweet potato stars, carrots, crabapple, strawberry, orange and grapes.

Today I met with TinySprite's preschool teachers to go over her first semester progress. Everything was as I expected until I asked whether she was well-behaved and polite. Well.... perhaps sometimes during circle time when they are asked to share, she'll burst into song... and sing a verse or two, and on, and on, and on. Maybe she could sing a little less. (Sheepish looks from teachers). What?! I guess I should be happy she's not busting out the dance moves too. Wait, I forgot to ask about that...

14 comments:

  1. Love the ornaments for the Christmas tree! and your box is always colorful...love it love it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha!! That's awesome! I wish I was brave enough to burst out into song during research group meetings! It would make for a much more interesting work environment :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this and your little one sounds like fun

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, I dare you to try it! Maybe for journal club :)

    Thanks a lot Rebecca. Our little ones sure keep laughing, don't they? ^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heeey!! I thought I stol..ahem.. borrowed your idea first! Silly ^^!
    The pepper ornaments are so bright! Supahcute!
    And... wow, I am in love to your mini tomatoes... how many are required to pop into my mouth so I can get fulfilled... the whole pack! >.<
    Aw, you are so sweet, thanks for the mention ;)
    P.S. TS is LOVELY!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha!! OMG Tiny Sprite is so darn cute!! I want to meet her. I'd love it if she busted a move and song with me! haha.. aw man.. the best. Totally loving all these holiday bentos from all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the broccoli christmas tree! And the fruit is just scrumptious :) The little crab apple is so cute. It's pretty cool that TS likes to sing that much, and that she is self-confident enough to sing in class!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Lina, karaimame, Chantale and Natakiya!
    She is quite the performer. I think maybe she likes the spotlight a bit too much sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely Christmas tree made of broccoli! I love those tiny ornaments on the tree! ;)

    ReplyDelete