Monday, July 16, 2012

Red Drink!

Red Drink! by sherimiya ♥
Red Drink!, a photo by sherimiya ♥ on Flickr.
You've heard all the buzz about green drinks, right? Well, green schmeen. Sure green is great (and here's my go-to green drink recipe), but you can make a delicious, healthy, refreshing drink of just about any color you desire. Here's one of my favorites: Red Drink! Actually it might be more of a hot pink drink, now that I look at it. Doesn't it look gorgeous? You might even be able to get your kids to suck it down; I know mine do. That beautiful scarlet hue is mainly due to beets. That's right, you heard me: beets! Raw beets are a good source of vitamin C, folate, and iron, and have a natural sweetness that make them a good base for a vegetable juice. Did you know that? I'll give you my recipe, but really you can alter the amounts and kinds of fruit however you choose. That's what I do. The intense red color comes from the raw red beet and red cabbage. And maybe from the berries too.
Sheri's Red Hot Pink Drink

1C almond milk
handful of red cabbage

[blend these ingredients first, to get better liquification]

1 small raw beet (or 1/2 medium beet), peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks (I chop it because I'm using a regular Oster blender. If you have a superblender then feel free to toss it in whole)
1 celery stalk
1 apple, peeled
1 small orange, peeled
1 banana
1C strawberries (or raspberries, or cherries, or other red fruit)
sunflower seeds

I blend the remaining ingredients in batches, since (as I said), I don't want to blow my blender's motor out.
This smoothie tastes fresh, sweet, yet vegetal. Trust me; it's good. Oh, and just a tip: don't wear white while you're making this one. Bottoms up!

9 comments:

  1. Ooo it's so bright and pretty!! And sounds delicious too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Red or hot pink looks way more appetizing than the vibrant green of the other health drinks, but that's just me. It sounds healthy and delicious, and it gets extra points for the funky colour. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of mine are some shade of greenish brown, but I agree with you that this color adds visual interest. Thanks Ingrid!

      Delete
  3. Looks so healthy and delicious. The important part is that kids are interested in trying and taste delicious. This one looks like a winner! It's been so cold that I put my juicer and ice cream maker away. It's like 65F here. I love this drink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nami! It's cold here too! I sent my kids to summer session with thermal bento today >.< but we still came home and made ice cream anyway, heh. I hope fall season warms up for us :D

      Delete
  4. I've never juiced cabbage with berries before (well, maybe some green grapes). This looks super cute and yummy! ^^ Plus, any juice or smoothie with banana is a plus for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never juiced cabbage before this either. I was hesitant, but really it just tastes fresh. The more fruit the better!

      Delete
    2. I heard on the radio yesterday that Australia's Olympic athletes drink lots of beet juice to help with performance and stamina. Are you flying down the pool on this pink drink?

      Delete
    3. Whoa.. beet juice is their secret? So refreshing to hear about a natural performance enhancer. I don't know about flying, but I sure could swim all day long.... that's stamina, right? :D

      Delete